Nagvis installation problem on Ubuntu 9.04 server

Hi,

I installed the Nagvis .deb package but did not see the user interface server/nagvis
I uninstalled the package and installed from the tar file. But it hasnt helped.

The apache2 error log is:-

[client 59.95.33.12] File does not exist: /var/www/nagvis

I have made some progress. When I visit the Nagvis home page at :- http://deepak.homeunix.org/nagios/nagvis/nagvis/index.php I get the following error.

I can access the http://deepak.homeunix.org/nagios/nagvis/config.php page though.

looks like some config file isn’t set correctly. Did you create the required DB (or did the install package do it?)

The NDOUTILS is not installed properly . So I feel I have to work first on NDOutils.
The error I get is:-
[1256801382] Error: Could not safely copy module ‘/usr/local/nagios/bin/ndomod-3x.o’. The module will not be loaded: No such file or directory

Or are there any other suggestions?

where is nagios installed? checl you don’t have a non standard path as i suspect that could give problem to the nagvis installer. :slight_smile:

Sorry can’t help more as my servers are all broken and i haven’t replaced them yet. :frowning:

Nagios is installed in the standard path /usr/local/nagios.

** I have observed that the NDO database has the necessary tables but there are no records in the tables**. Can this be the problem?

I am also getting the following error in nagios.log file.

Here is my nagvis.ini file.

*[global]

[paths]
base=“/usr/local/nagios/share/nagvis/”
htmlbase=“/nagios/nagvis”
htmlcgi=“/nagios/cgi-bin”

[defaults]
backend=“ndoutils”
onlyhardstates=1
recognizeservices=1

[index]

[automap]

[wui]
autoupdatefreq=25
maplocktime=5

[worker]

[backend_ndoutils]
backendtype=“ndomy”
dbhost=“localhost”
dbport=3306
dbname=“ndoutils”
dbuser=“root”
dbpass=“passwor”
dbprefix=“nagios_”
dbinstancename=“default”

[backend_ndo2fs_1]

[backend_merlinmy_1]

[rotation_demo]
maps=“demo,Demo2:demo2”
interval=15
Thanks,
Deepak

looks like some config file isn’t set correctly. Did you create the required DB

i think the tbales are empty by default. First i’d reconfigure everything not to use the root account in mysql but a limited account with access only on the ndo tables, but that’s not relevant to the problem at hand…

I don’t know what may have gone wrong, not having a server available i can only recommend you try to follow the installation (and mainly configuration instructions) again from scratch and see if you forgot one step or the other… :slight_smile:

nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/ndou … OUtils.pdf

Thanks Luca for your reply.
I had installed Nagvis Ubuntu package using apt-get install . It didn’t work, hence I uninstalled it and later manually installed the package from a tar file. Both these versions are different. I hope that there is no issue because of this and both the versions files are not mixed up and creating the mess.

I had uninstalled the package with dpkg -r nagvis .

I dont have a clue how to go about it.

check the dpkg options there’s possibly a -p switch like in aptitude which is -purge and removes config files too… that may be an issue… :slight_smile:

Thanks for your suggestion. I had actually purged Nagvis with the dpkg -P command earlier. So I will again start from scratch and do the install once more as suggested by you…

Thanks,
Deepak