Network traffic

Hi all

I’m a bit n00b with nagios and I have new installation 2.0 b4. I’m trying to run it on FreeBSD 5.3. I was thinking to monitor network trafic but don’t seem to find any working plugin for that. Wha you use for that? And where could I find it?

thanks allready

p.s. Sorry about my bad english :shock:

you COULD use nagiostat, but i would start with MRTG instead of Nagios if you only want to monitor network traffic…

Luca

I do have mrtg runing allso, but I really would really like to integrate traffic information into nagios. More one more check pluning that check traffic. I’ve tried nagiostat but not successfully. I have’nt got it up and running instead I’ve managed to graph with nagiosgraph.

I got with nagiostat to the point where it should have draw a picture but only thing I got was broken image icons.

Then I tried check_mrtg but it return Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Well I try first with nagiostat… and ask for more help if needed.
Thanks Luca.

check if the creation of the rrd files is ok… and put debug level to 3 in the nagiostat file. then look at debug.log :slight_smile:
If you already have mrtg running you could add just a hostextinfo link to the right mrtg page…

Luca

Thanks Luca

That solved my problem. creation of rrd files did not work and now it does. One thing came out with check_mrtg plugin. For some reason it returns “Segmentation fault (core dumped)” command that I tried to use was “./check_mrtg -F /usr/local/share/mrtg/data/localhost_2.log -a AVG -v 2 -w 60 -c 90” Have any ideas why?

klamppa

i don’t use that plugin… sorry. :slight_smile:
go by trial… add one parameter after the other and see what happens.

Luca
Edited Fri Sep 30 2005, 02:28AM ]

I use nagiostat for everything from free space in Oracle tablespaces to network traffic.
I’ll just include a portion of my nagiostat.conf file, that might help you in case you decide to use it. I suggest that you do, since almost every service check you make, can be graphed and has helped me immensely in finding hidden problems that you really never see without a graph.
GraphTimeTemplate 5year -1hour:-0min:“Hourly graph” -24hours:-0min:“Daily graph” -7days:-0min:“Weekly graph” -1month:-0min:“Montly graph” -1year:-0min:“Yearly graph” -5year:-0min:"5 Year graph"
RRDCreateTemplate ifrate_5min --step 300 DS:in:GAUGE:600:U:U DS:out:GAUGE:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:396 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:7:336 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:480 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:234:480

PlotTemplate ifrate --start $s --end $e DEF:in=$f:in:AVERAGE DEF:out=$f:out:AVERAGE AREA:in#00D000:“Inbound traffic (kbit/s)” LINE2:out#0000A0:“Outbound traffic (kbit/s)” GPRINT:in:MAX:“IN MAX\: %.4lg kbit/s” GPRINT:in:MIN:“IN MIN\: %.4lg kbit/s” GPRINT:in:AVERAGE:“IN average\: %.4lg kbit/s” GPRINT:out:MAX:“OUT MAX\: %.4lg kbit/s” GPRINT:out:MIN:“OUT MIN\: %.4lg kbit/s” GPRINT:out:AVERAGE:“OUT average\: %.4lg kbit/s”

ValueRegexTemplate ifrate_in_out “output:in:/\[IN\]=([0-9.]+) kbit/” “output:out:/\[OUT\]=([0-9.]+) kbit/”

InsertValue PP-NHR-1-3p8-ifrate.rrd ifrate_5min /PP-NHR-1-3p8/ /“if-traffic”/ ifrate_in_out