Newb config problems

Sincere apologies if this is a no-brainer that’s been dicussed before . . .

Trying to install v2.5, I’m running the configure command and have not been able to do the make all command. I believe my issue is in the last section of the configuration, but I’m missing how to fix it. Please see below:

Creating sample config files in sample-config/ …
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/nagios.cfg.20069.F20070: No such file or directory
Cannot make temporary file $TEMP at subst line 12.
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/cgi.cfg.20071.z20072: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/resource.cfg.20073.f20074: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/httpd.conf.20075.J20076: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/template-object/minimal.cfg.20077.w20078: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/template-object/bigger.cfg.20079.t20080: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/template-object/checkcommands.cfg.20081.P20082: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file sample-config/template-object/misccommands.cfg.20083.Y20084: No such file or directory

*** Configuration summary for nagios 2.5 07-13-2006 ***:

General Options:

Nagios executable: nagios
Nagios user/group: nagios,apnag
Command user/group: nagios,apnag
Embedded Perl: no
Event Broker: yes
Install ${prefix}: /user/local/nagios
Lock file: ${prefix}/var/nagios.lock
Init directory: /etc/rc.d
Host OS: linux-gnu

Web Interface Options:

HTML URL: localhost/nagios//
CGI URL: localhost/nagios/cgi-bin/
Traceroute (used by WAP): /usr/sbin/traceroute

Review the options above for accuracy. If they look okay,
type ‘make all’ to compile the main program and CGIs.

Nagios:~ # make all
cd /root/nagios-2.5/base && make
make[1]: Entering directory /root/nagios-2.5/base' make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. make[1]: Leaving directory/root/nagios-2.5/base’
make: *** [all] Error 2

I did check to make sure that all of the directories and the makefiles exist, and they do.

TIA for any help

see other forum post you made on this.