Newbie needs some guidance

Hoping you can bear with me as I fumble my way through this.

I’ll explain what I’m trying to do and perhaps someone can tell me how to do this or if it is even possible.

We use Mirth Connect (a interface engine used to exchange HL7 (medical) data. It runs on a virtual appliance on a Linux box. Our ‘customers’ connect to the appliance via openVPN (a software based vpn). A channel is created in Mirth that listens to the local host on a given port for messages from the customer.

So let’s say customerA has an openvpn established on ip 172.29.0.7. The local address is 172.29.0.1 (on the appliance). The Mirth channel (running on the appliance) is listening on ip 127.0.0.1 port 8117. So I’m not real sure how the messages coming in on 172.29.0.7 make it to 127.0.0.1.

The problem: Messages require a standard protocol of encoding characters at the beginning and end. Some of the messages being sent do not have these control characters and so get rejected by the channel.

What I want to do: From my windows machine, is there a way to use wireshark to monitor the messages coming in for this channel? I have my own openVpn connection to the appliance. I don’t really understand how to configure the capture options to do this. I can tell which interface my openvpn connection is but when I try entering in the above ip addresses for a remote capture, none of them work. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong or maybe I just can’t do this at all.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rut