NRPE_NT Trouble

So I downloaded the NRPE_NT service and the plugins from Nagiosexchange.org. I’ve looked at the simple installation steps and have done as requested, executing nrpe_nt.exe -i from the appropriate directory. The problem is, when I go into services to try and start the service, I get this error:

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I get a similar error when I try to run net start nrpe_nt. Any idea what’s going on here guys? Also, just out of curiosity, how do I tell the NRPE_NT daemon to reference the location of the nrpe.cfg file?

FYI, the paths to my plugins and the nrpe_nt.exe file are C:\nagios\bin\ and C:\nagios, respectively, if that matters any.
Edited ]

I don’t use the nt version, but it looks to me that you messed up the config file on the remote host.
c:nagiosbin??? Looks fishy to me, I’d suspect it’s c:\nagiosbin if anything but definitely not c:nagiosbin. I don’t think windows understands what that is.

I don’t use the nt version, but it looks to me that you messed up the config file on the remote host.
c:nagiosbin??? Looks fishy to me, I’d suspect it’s c:\nagiosbin if anything but definitely not c:nagiosbin. I don’t think windows understands what that is.

Nah, there are back-slashes between “c:” and “nagios” and “bin”, but, as I’m sure you can see from looking at your post, they didn’t make it into the actual post.

RESOLUTION: Took a look at the event viewer, which showed there was a configuration error on line 10 of the nrpe.cfg file. This line had to do with a form of encryption that I am not installing at this point, and therefore the NRPE service was timing out looking for this file it needed for encryption purposes. I just commented out the line and it started up fine.

Tnk. It works !, Maybe I was using the nrpe.cfg file for the plugins.

1 Like