[poll] Beginner's Configuration Tutorial/Web Utility re

I’m a Network Admin with novice-level Linux experience; I managed to install CentOS and get it patched, with an install of Nagios following. I got patches downloaded and installed, but I’m not sure that Nagios is utilizing the patches. Also, I’m having a hard time getting the ‘config.cfg’ and sibling ‘.cfg’ files properly formatted to the point where the web interface shows anything more than ‘file not found’ or 404 errors.

Would anyone recommend ‘Fruity’ or other web management utility to make this part of implementation go easier me, or possibly recommend some templated default ‘config.cfg’ file somewhere that I can use to get monitoring functional enough to verify that the server is doing what it should?

[html] Hmm, both Monarch & Fruity have seen no new releases in 2007… neutral.png

[/html]

My quick guess about the 404’s is that the installer didn’t configure apache for you…
In /etc/nagios2 you have a file called apache2.conf, if you run “cat apache2.conf >> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf”
(while standing in /etc/nagios2)
you’ll probably get the web-interface up and running after restarting apache.
About the management utilities: I’d stick with tweaking files, it gives you a much better sense of what’s going on and when you’re really familiar with them you’ll set up a new host in no time.
I once made a bunch of simple scripts to set up monitoring of new hosts, just run the script, answer a couple of questions and the new host was being monitored…that’s faster than any web-interface…
I haven’t touched nagios for a couple of years now and are just starting again, I understand your frustration, it gets easier tough :slight_smile:

I don’t think Apache got configured - not only could I not run that command, I don’t even have that directory (/etc/nagios2).

*Note: I have Nagios v2.9, in case the directory may be different

I do recall running a configuration command that involved the ‘httpd.conf’ file and I do get the web browser interface, just not any CGI output; perhaps once I get some monitored hosts created and start the services, I’ll start getting data enough to build web output.

If you still have those scripts…sounds like what I could use :wink:

Thx for the tips,
Marc