Question about Nagios capability

Hello,
My first post here, so please… be gentle! :frowning:

First of all, I’m a Nagios/Linux Newbie, but thought I’d take a dive into this world to see what it’s all about! I have Nagios installed on Mandriva Linux, and it’s working great! I’m currently using Active Service scans to monitor a few servers (Dell Poweredge Novell based), a Series of Ethernet switches, printers, etc. I’m ready to play with Passive scans!
I’ve been looking to see if there is a way that I can monitor 200+ Dell Workstations for problems like Thermal Alerts, Pagefaults, and even Chassis Intrusions. Before I continue to bang my head against wall further, I thought I’d better ask if this is possible? I’ve read some articles on having Nagios handle Dell Openmanage Traps, and have been reading what I could find on NC_Net/NSCA but I still can’t figure out if these will do what I’m looking for!

If anyone could give me a yes or no answer, I would appreciate it! And, if what I’m looking for is possible, if you could point me in the right direction I would greatly appriciate it!

Thanks,
Chris

Hi!

good news:
YES, it should be possible!

I can’t really help you further, but the NSCA plugin should be what you’re looking for.
Also, if you haven’t already read it:
the page nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/ … hecks.html
should provide a few answers :slight_smile:

Thank you, Loose!
It’s good to know I’m on the right track! I believe I have the NSCA installed and running, adding it in as a passive service is a little confusing for me, but I’ll continue. I know that once I do it the first time, It will all make sense, I just can’t seem to get to that point!
I believe I did review that link you provided, but I’ll make sure I give it another read incase something new jumps out at me!

Thanks again,
Chris

If anyone else has other information I’d love to hear it! I’ll also write up my notes if/when I get it going so that others might benifit from my struggle :frowning:

so, good luck :slight_smile:

and don’t hesitate to ask if you struggle too much.
I don’t know much about NSCA, but I’ve worked quite a bit with passive checks and I think I have done almost all the noobie errors/mistakes :slight_smile: