Running plugins on other machines?

Hi there all. I’m a Linux / Nagios newbie, so please bare with me. I’ve got Nagios setup to work well with the machine its set up on using the plugins. However, I now want to check disk space and such on other hosts.

Do I need to create the nagios user on each machine I want to use and put the plugins in that home directory? I’m assuming I can run these scripts on a host that doesn’t actually have Nagios running on it?

ie is $USER1$ the nagios user and hence the directory?

Command used to check disk space usage on local partitions

define command {
command_name check_local_disk
command_line $USER1$/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
}

If not, where do I need to put the scripts (such as check_local_disk) on the remote host and what command do I need to define in order to run it?

Thanks for any advice on this.
Edited ]

Sorry, but since you think $USER1$ is the nagios user, then there is much you have to read and learn before you attempt to run passive checks. The reason I state this, is due to the amount of reading that comes with these passive checks. From your questions, I get the impression that you haven’t even fully read the nagios doc’s, let alone studied passive checks, which are also documented in the nagios docs thoroughly.

It’s just not the right thing to do, to give complete precise instructions in this forum, when the documentation does just that. This forum should be for those times, when you run into a brick wall after triing everything you could to find out from the docs.

Get back to us, if you have trouble after you have read the nagios documentation at least once.