Service Alerting

Hello -
I have a rather simple question regarding my paging. I have looked through the docs and I’m sure that I’m just missing the answer and am hoping that someone could point me in the right direction or give me a quick fix.

Here is the problem, I am not getting paged alerts when a service goes down but I am getting the alerts when the host goes down. Here is some of my configuration to help you see if I have a problem somewhere. Here is a snip from how my defined hosts are set up:

define host{
use generic-host ; Name of host template to use
host_name my_hostname
alias Ping Host
address xx.xx.xx.xx
check_command check-host-alive
max_check_attempts 10
notification_interval 120
notification_period 24x7
notification_options d,r
contact_groups admins,tekhed,pager
}

This is obviously a ping test that will check to see if the host is alive. If the host goes down or can’t be reached, I get paged alerts, all is well.

Here is a snip from my services.config:

define service{
use generic-service ;template to use
host_name my_hostname
service_description POP
is_volatile 0
check_period 24x7
max_check_attempts 4
normal_check_interval 5
retry_check_interval 1
contact_groups admins,tekhed,pager
notification_interval 960
notification_period 24x7
check_command check_pop!my_ip!110
}

This will check if the POP service is working. Now, when this service stops, the web interface shows critical as it should, but the paging does not work. But, if I add a “check_command” with check_pop to my define host I will get paging but then it shows the host as being down also which is not right.

Anyway, I’m slighty confused as to why I am not getting paging when the service goes down but am getting paged when the host itself goes down. Is there something I am overlooking or missing? Thanks for any and all help. : )

Sorry everyone. :confused: The problem is fixed. I had an error in my config file. I was missing a main directive. Notification_options. The problem is fixed.