Service Escalations

I have a question regarding the best practices for setting up service escalations. Currently we have about 50 hosts configured for Nagios. With a generic-host template, we’ve defined a check-host-alive check_command so that we can run host escalations to know when a host is down. However, we also run about 20 some different service checks and would like to have service escalations configured for them as well.

What I can’t figure out is that while host escalations allow us to assign host_groups, the service escalations don’t allow any sort of grouping whatsoever. So, do I just need to create a massive service escalation config file for every permutation of host, service, and notification level or is there a simpler way to accomplish this? An additional idea that we came up with was to create a unique host name for each host/service combination, however, that affects the UI to a point where I’d rather not go there if it’s not absolutely necessary. Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lone