Socket Timeout explanation

Hi,

We have 2 web servers and have instaleld nagios agent on those servers.Infrequesntly either of the serves , in 2-3 weeks, send an alert

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

I would like to know , what is Socket timeout and what can be the possible causes for this.Pls help

Thanks

Nick

it’s a timeout… the server didn’t answer within 10 seconds.
high load, network congestion… tons of reasons. put the timeout in the command to 15 seconds and see if it disappears… or investigatre what happens on the server when it times out.

[quote=“luca”]it’s a timeout… the server didn’t answer within 10 seconds.
high load, network congestion… tons of reasons. put the timeout in the command to 15 seconds and see if it disappears… or investigatre what happens on the server when it times out.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your valuable comment. Since its happening may be in 2-3 weeks , its not something , i iwll change value and will give me some positive results.

I investigated when the socket timeout happened and nothing substantial is there in the logs/event viewer.The server is a web server with IIS 6.0.

Also since this software was deployed by ex-admin, how can i check, what is it monitoring. Like what kind of service and socket timeout is related to which service.

for what service are you getting the notification? ususally the subject of the email has the host and service asociated.

Hi,

In the subject of the email it shows : APPLSRV01/Web , so i guess the Application server and web service.

H.

Yes, the server is APLLSERV01 (check the hosts.cfg file to know what server taht is if in doubt) and the service defined as Web in services.cfg. These are the usual locations… it may be different in your installation… :slight_smile: